Friday, October 12, 2007

Second Meeting as "Official" VP

Let's go back in time for a moment. For the past year, I have been (on) the Membership Committee. But, our VP was next to worthless, so guess who had to pick up the slack? Yep, that would be yours truely. I was glad to do it. As I've stated before, I do try to do all that I can to prove to the other members that I am not just a hotshot kid and I am responsible, yadda yadda yadda. Well, now we've got a new board. Our Secretary/Treasure is one of these tough New York types. I'm pretty much used to that. I have New Yorker in my blood. I can be a loud bitch if need be! :-) Anyway, she and I will work well together when we aren't butting heads.

And then there is our new President. Well, she's a sweet person and I know she means well. I just think she's waaaaay too boring and introverted and not excitng, inspiring or motivating. I hope I'm wrong and just being overly dramatic. Oh well. Having said all of that, I'm giving us about a month to start running like a well oiled machine.

Ok, onto the meeting. We had our managing director speak yesterday. And it was less of a speech and more of an audience participation group project that I really enjoyed. The jist was we were read a story about a couple getting married and their business and we had to come up with as many referrals that we could give from the list. My group went way above and beyond and got creative. Of course they needed a realtor, mortgage person, insurance person, contractor, bookkeeper, etc. But, we decided they needed a wedding planner, divorce attorney, janitorial staff, rental agency for handicapped ramps because the bride's mother (we/I decided) was in a wheelchair and wouldn't make it up the steps to the banquet hall. That part was enjoyable.

I just got off our monthly President's conference call. "But you're VP!", you may say. Yes, you're right. Apparently, I'm VP and get to be the bad guy with attendance issues, PLUS, I am the President's very own personal assistant. Amazing, huh?

I'm going to say this here and now, and I'm sure I'm going to reiterate this again in the future. I love BNI. I love my BNI group as a whole and 99% of the members in it. Yes, we have problems and drama and helmets (another story for another post in a little bit) and personality conflicts and cliquiness (sort of), but when all is said and I really enjoy the meetings and more importantly, I really respect and trust the vast majority of the members in the group. I have nothing but complimentary things to say for the most part, but when someone or something really gets my goat, I bitch and moan. And I have this blog. Really, I'm hoping that other members in other groups stumble upon it and eventually submit their own stories. I kind of look at the group as a family of sorts. Yes, we love our families and that goes without question. HOWEVER, each of our family members say or do or have habits that aggrivate, annoy, frusterate or otherwise bother us. And that's really how my chapter is.

No comments: